Foodie Blogroll Ad Code

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Recipe! Vegan Pumpkin Bread

Oh, autumn...there's nothing about autumn that I don't like. Falling leaves, falling temperatures, soups, quickbreads, pumpkins, Halloween, Thanksgiving, shorter days...you name it! But one of my favorite things about autumn is pumpkin bread...and pumpkin pie, pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin latte...I'm a bit of a pumpkin fanatic, and judging by the food-blog buzz, I'm not alone. If there's any flavor that says "autumn", it's pumpkin.

Traditionally, many of these pumpkin treats are far from healthy, and well off the beaten path of the anti-anxiety diet. Fortunately, my sister-in-law (who is a better cook than I am and fantastically good at adapting recipes) spent ages perfecting this pumpkin bread recipe. It is not only whole-grain, but also vegan...and it is moist and delicious and essentially the perfect pumpkin bread.

Luckily for us all, I convinced her to hand over the recipe and obtained her permission to publish it here. I've made it twice in the past two weeks and will probably be making it most of the fall. I use canned pumpkin but my sister-in-law roasts her own. This recipe makes two loaves, but she says that she generally doubles it, and that a good sized pumpkin will make 10-12 loaves. That sounds like a lot, I know, but it goes so fast. Anyway, without further ado:



Vegan Pumpkin Bread 

3 1/2 c whole wheat flour
4 T soy flour
2 t baking soda
1 1/2 t salt
2 t cinnamon
1/2 t nutmeg
1/4 t cloves
1/4 t ginger
3 c brown sugar (or a mix of brown/white)
2 1/2 c cooked mashed pumpkin
3/4 c canola oil
1c water (more or less, depending on how watery your pumpkin is)


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease two bread pans.

2. Mix flour, baking soda, salt and spices in a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients and beat until well blended.

3. Divide batter equally into the greased pans and bake for 70 minutes. Check for done-ness but do not overbake!

No comments:

Post a Comment