Foodie Blogroll Ad Code

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Recipe! Coconut Brown Rice

Coconut brown rice...just the name is enough to get me salivating. The nutty flavor of that brown rice with the sweet notes of coconut, add some toasted coconut on top...mmmm. When someone mentioned having coconut brown rice for dinner recently, I couldn't help myself...I had to make it.

So I browsed through recipes and found one I liked right here, but on my search I also ran into a tip: coconut rice goes well with fried shallots. Well. I just so happened to have some shallots that really needed to be used, so that suited me just fine.

Of course, I don't often advocate frying....ever, or at all. It's usually a very bad thing for the anti-anxiety diet, as well as for your BMI. However, a few crispy shallots on a bed of whole grain rice? I think we can handle it, yeah?

This recipe is quite good, but I made a few of my own alterations. If you do not buy "sweetened" coconut milk, but you want the rice to be sweet, then you will need to add some sugar. I thought that it was creamy, delicious, and just right without any added sweetness, but it's a matter of taste.

Enjoy!


Coconut Brown Rice


1 1/2 cups brown jasmine or basmati rice
1 can coconut milk
4 T coconut cream
2 cups water
1/2 t salt
1 T coconut oil, or similar

1. Use a regular-sized pot with a tight fitting lid. Rub pot with oil. Add all ingredients and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring regularly.

2. Lower the temperature to a low simmer, cover, and cook for 45 - 60 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed. Once liquid is absorbed, turn off heat but do not remove pot; allow rice to sit on burner, covered, for 5-10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve.

3. Toast 2 T sweetened coconut flakes in a skillet, if desired, to top rice with. You can also top with fried shallots or both, which is what I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment